Thursday, January 10, 2013

And down down to Goblin-town...

"Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! Gnash them! Take them away to dark holes full of snakes, and never let them see the light again!"
J.R.R.Tolkien, The Hobbit


I finished some more of the "Escape from Goblin Town"-goblins. I really enjoyed painting each of them in an "individual" colour scheme. What I wouldn't have believed from the official GW paint jobs: These models have a lot of character!!!

Since most of the miniature is skin they can be finished pretty quickly. Perhaps I should avoid the brighter skintone in the future, but I really liked the ragtag look of these guys. You should always have in mind that these goblins are more like bandits and not a regular army. They shouldn't be uniformed.

One thing I missed in the movie was that Jackson's goblins never seemed to pose a real threat to Thorin's company. I tried to change that by adding some blood to their weapons... They should at least seem like they could deal any damage. Again, I used Tamiya Clear Red for the blood. I really like that stuff although it smells deadly.

The bases were kept simple... Just rocks with some sparse grass. Some of them got some plankwork as a reference to Goblin-town but I didn't went to fancy here. Since the goblin horde will end up rather colourful, I will need the bases as a contrast.


I really hope you like the pictures and maybe I could change your opinion about the new goblin models. They may be some of the best plastic miniatures I had for LotR up to now...


5 comments:

  1. nice work! I will admit that you have managed to change my opinion of the models. I still don't like the new PJ goblins, but at least it appears that GW did a good job replicating them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good! I admire these bases! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your profile picture on the 'one-ring.co.uk' forum and I thought (I want to paint (highlight) my goblins that way). Can you tell me your painting technique for the skin? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! May i ask how you panted the one on the left in the front row (biggest picture)? He look very nice (well they all do tbh).Thanks!

    ReplyDelete